Monday, September 27, 2010

Jet Set Jordie

I know...I know...I have not kept up my commitment to blogging at least once a month. Slacker. But I have been up in the air flying back and forth between Phoenix and Houston every week, so that's my excuse. I accepted a new job back in July, and started the second week of August and have been traveling ever since. Crazy, I know. Everyone asks me, "How is Ava and Ian handling you being away so much?" Well, it's been an adjustment to say the least...but they're managing and being as supportive as possible. I'm lucky that way.

As for me, I can only say that I'm doing the best that I can, and trying to make everyone happy. I signed up for this gig and on days when I'm questioning everything, I remind myself that I'm making sacrifices for my family's future. Plus, I guess a part of me enjoys the insanity of it all, and I do enjoy being "back out there" interacting with the world. I'm pretty tough ya know, but there are times when I just want to cry.
For instance, a couple of weeks ago, I had to fly to Houston when some pretty bad storms were over the state of Texas. The whole flight was pretty bumpy and miserable. However, the worst part was when we were just about ready to land (wheels were down, I could see the ground coming in closer and closer), and just as we were about to touch down, the pilot lifted straight up and back up into the air like a rocket. I saw my life flash before my very eyes! I still have no idea why the pilot did that, but clearly our plane did not have the ok to land at that moment. We circled over Houston a few times and then finally landed. We all cheered when we slowed down on the ground. I went straight from the airport to the client offices that day, and was pretty shaken up. And just as we were packing up for the day at the office (around 6:30 pm) and ready to head to the hotel, the office emergency system went off saying the 2nd and 3rd floors were being evacuated. (I was on the 8th floor). And guess what--the elevators were shut down! Tired, pathetic me had to lug my luggage and laptop down EIGHT sets of stairs in 4 inch heels! My legs and arms hurt for a week afterward. All I could do was laugh...otherwise I would have cried for a very long time.

On a happier note:
Today Ava had her first Kindergarten field trip to an ice cream shop and to the park. Luckily, I was able to arrange my travel schedule so I could be home and go with her class. It was important to me to show Ava that her mom is still there for her. Because at the end of the day, nothing means more to me than being there for my family. Unfortunately, I have to make a living as well...

Ava is doing really well in Kindergarten so far. She's still attending a small private Christian school near our house and she loves it. I'm amazed and grateful that Ava has such a thirst for learning and spends a lot of her free time voluntarily working on her writing, reading and math skills. She even tries to test her dad and I and corrects us all the time. She definitely loves playing the part of a teacher or principal. Little miss bossy!

Next week I'm back to Houston for a few days, and then heading to Wisconsin to visit my sister. Ian gets to play Mr. Mom and Dad again. I know it's been difficult for him, and yet he continues to manage it all and support me. I seriously feel so blessed to have him as my best friend and partner for life. Is it possible to love someone more and more, even after almost 10 years of marriage? Because I do.

In other (less sappy) news, I signed up to run my first 5k at the end of October!! I have been training when I can, but I need to kick it into high gear this next 30 days! We shall see if my old body can still rally. ha!

Hello to my fellow bloggers out there! I miss reading all of your posts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear everyone is doing well with all of the changes, and as they say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I know it can be hard but hang in there your wonderful family is more thank worth it.
LaDonna Bradley

Anonymous said...

Just read this post. Brought tears to my eyes when I read what you wrote about Ian. I'm so glad you feel that way. Love you and miss you..Kelly