Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things About Christmas


The soft glow of the Christmas tree.
I like to just sit by the tree late at night and stare at the presents underneath
and think about all of my blessings.


I love going to the mailbox each afternoon, hoping to receive another beautiful Christmas card from a dear friend or family member. But why is it that we only write to each other once a year?

Colorful lights on our house and in our yard.
We've added a few new ones this year- a saguaro cactus, a penguin, and some presents.


I love taking our dogs, Lucky and Lola-Jean for walks around our neighborhood at night,
to see all of the lights and feel the cold, crisp air. Tomorrow night I'm going to take my camera with me so I can share with all of you some of the best light displays.
Some of our neighbors have really done an amazing job with lights and music.


I love this movie. And I'm not even ashamed to admit that Linus' monologue
about what Christmas is all about gets me every time.

I actually love wrapping presents. I love picking out the paper, the name tags, the ribbon, and placing the packages under the tree. I love buying little things to place in the stockings to surprise Ian and Ava on Christmas morning. I definitely have more fun giving to others and seeing their faces light up.

I love shopping for deals on the internet, especially when the deal includes free shipping.
Amazon.com was my friend this year!

I love the excitment in Ava's eyes and that she BELIEVES in the magic of it all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a very touching entry. Your Christmas tree is lovely. I'm (Mom, here) feeling sorry for myself that I'm not sitting there. The music background is exquisite and they are all selections that I personally love. At the moment, I am experiencing a little blessing in that I'm holding a warm soft kitty, Annie, who is purring her heart out while listening to the pretty carols and other holiday music on your blog. Being on the computer is most of the time a family affair, with Jim reading over my shoulder and Annie in my lap. As you probably recall, Annie is actually Ian's kitty that he found under a car on a hot day when he was at ASU. She is such a sweet little animal. Like other animals we've had, she just walked into our lives. I'm now listening to, "Away In A Manger" and recall it as the first Christmas carol I ever learned as a small child. I remember singing it with other little children on Christmas Eve. in the front of our church in Pierre, SD. We are so thrilled that Ava was able to feel that special happiness of singing with her little friends. Ian, Jordie, Ava, Lucky and Lola, we look at our own little tree at night, at the pretty presents that came from your house, and are content in our greatest blessing, You, our family. Much love to you always - Mom and Dad (Grandma and Poppa)

Unknown said...

Hi, everybody - It's me, Mom, again. Just had to add that your outdoor lights look beautiful. The lights never look more beautiful than when you're Ava's age. We hope she goes out looking at many. It's a memory that one holds very dear. I remember that I used to call them, "the pretties". Love, Mom

Jordan said...

Yeah- you learned how to comment on here! =) Thank you for the sweet messages. Sure wish we could be sitting in front of the tree together with some delicious wine. Or take a walk together around our neighborhood to see all the lights. Ava would love that so much.