Monday, January 17, 2011

What a Feeling!


 Yesterday at about 11 am, I was running (slowly of course, but still moving), in the middle of a street in Phoenix. I was most likely about to reach 8.5 miles. The music was blarring in my ears, my feet were cramping, my legs were getting tired, and yet I have honestly never felt more alive in my life. I never doubted for one second that I would cross that finish line, even though at times, it felt like a million miles away.

I was in my own little world running/walking among hundreds of people (all different shapes and sizes) and feeling so overcome with emotion at times just thinking about how lucky I am. I think we all go through phases when we look at ourselves in the mirror and wish we could change things about our physical appearance. But for the first time yesterday, I didn't focus on my flaws...I was just grateful that I have legs and feet that allowed me to run and walk on such a beautiful Arizona day. As Oprah says, it was my "Ah-Ha Moment"! I knew I wasn't going to be the fastest runner out there, I just wanted to see if I could really complete 13.1 miles. And I did.

Me at the finish line. Ian telling me how proud he was of me. =)
I finished about 10 minutes after Ian.
Of course today, I can barely walk. But it's a small price to pay for that amazing feeling you get when you've accomplished a goal.

Now, I just hope that photo of me crossing the finish line is flattering! ha ha!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Good for you, Jordan! The Memphis marathon runs near our house and every time we watch it I get this little burst of, "I could do that! Next year!" And then I remember that I hate running... ;) So impressed!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your great accomplishment! Way to go!!

Mama of two ~ said...

Woo Hoo! What an awesome feeling and accomplishment! I used to run cross country when I was younger..one of these days.. I will get on that pavement instead of the treadmill and do one of these marathon's. Your giving me inspiration.

The Barron Bunch said...

Great Job Jordan! Maybe, just maybe....I will be out there running it one of these days! You are awesome! :0)