Thursday, May 14, 2009

Self Doubt

I've been having one of those weeks when I question everything about myself...am I good enough, smart enough, pretty enough? And more importantly, does it even matter? Does anyone (other than myself) give a damn? Probably not, which is the conclusion I usually come to once I've gained some perspective. I'm grateful to have a good head on my shoulders because the world moves FAST. Faster than I've ever known and we're constantly, (at least in the business world), having to make ourselves relevant. What do I bring to the table? What have you done for me lately mentality?

I work for a very large corporation...something like 75,000 employees. And this week I've been in Minneapolis at a Legal and Regulatory Leadership Meeting--surrounded by lawyers with degrees from Harvard, Yale, Georgetown, etc. It's an intimidating crowd and I've felt lost in the mix. I'm not afraid to admit my vulnerability--it's what makes me real and grounded. And as I stood there last night at the Walker Art Center, as the wall flower (with a glass of red wine in my hand), I knew deep inside there were others feeling just as uncomfortable and unsure as I felt at that moment. The only difference being that they were able to fake it better than I could.

I don't like small talk with people I don't know. I never know what to say or what questions to ask. I'd rather sit back and observe. My observations always speak the truth to me and calm any anxieties I may have. Body language--it says a lot.

And I find comfort in the fact that tomorrow I get to fly home and go back to my safe haven of my home office and the people, animals and things that I know and love. And as Eleanor Roosevelt once said "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." And I'm no longer giving my consent because I know I deserve better. We all do.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love reading your blogs. I'm so glad you do it so often. I can relate to you in so many ways.....needing to "check yourself" and your identity when in intimidating situations....it reminds me of teenagehood sometimes. I never thought adults felt insecure. I know what you mean by FAST paced. It is easy to get caught up in, but feels so much better not to. I love your past blogs about going green. I would love to have an organic garden and live on some acreage. Right now we're just doing a little garden. I love the kids picking their tomatoes and clipping the broccoli. It is sooo much better for our bodies. I believe that the food we eat and things we drink really do affect our thinking/acting. Of course, I have been loving the McDonald's $1 sausage biscuit and hashbrown :) I'm sure you are a wonderful mother and great the way you are. I'm glad you take great escapes with your husband....that is a must! Your daughter is beautiful and sweet, just like you. I hope you have a great day!