As part of my journey to get healthy, I'm educating myself on food. I'm re-evaluating how I look at food and the choices I make everyday for myself and my family. What am I putting into my body and how does it affect me? And more importantly- what am I feeding Ava that could possibly be making her sick or have an impact on her health later in life?
I love researching, reading, analyzing...it's what I do for a living. I like to become the expert and educate others. But what I've come to realize about knowledge is that sometimes what I learn creates more anxiety within me, makes me more fearful of the world around me...
Ignorance is bliss at times. On the other hand, ignorance does not help me, protect me or those around me, whom I love very much.
My crusade for knowledge begins with reading The Unhealthy Truth: How our food is making us sick and what we can do about it, by Robyn O'Brien.
I've just started to read this book, but already sirens are going off in my head. I already want to run to our pantry and throw everything out and start fresh. Do you have Goldfish crackers in your pantry? Throw them out. Do you have boxes of Mac n' Cheese? Throw it out! Too many chemicals in these foods--chemicals that our bodies have no idea how to digest. And this is just the beginning.
Want more information now? Visit the AllergyKids website.
I'm lucky, Ava doesn't have any known allergies. But that doesn't mean I'm off the hook as a mother. As I learn more, I will share with all of you as to how changes in our diet changes our life.
And I'm curious--Have any of you already read 'The Unhealthy Truth?' What did you think? How did it change your life?
Friday, August 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 comments:
I haven't read the Unhealthy Truth, but I didn’t read Skinny Bitch. This book will make you become a vegetarian!
I read it. I have learned so much. I have an Ava too and learned that she has a dairy allergy. Ignorance is bliss and knowlege is POWER! Good luck on your journey. I commend you for it!
Post a Comment