Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Tour de Tucson

It's been about a year since my last visit to Tucson. So, I decided for my mom's birthday, Ava and I would take Friday off from work and Preschool and make the 2 hour drive south to my birthplace, to take my mom and grandma out to lunch. The plan--meet on the NW side of Tucson at La Encantada at 11 am in front of Talbots for some birthday gifts, and then on to lunch at Firebird's. We were all really looking forward to a nice relaxing afternoon together.


And just as I was about to scoop up Ava and head out the door to begin my trek to Tucson, the phone rang.


Change of plans-My grandma fell during the night and is in the hospital.


I hate these kinds of phone calls--the ones you wish would never happen, if only you had not answered the phone... But I was relieved to hear that other than a few cuts and bruises and a minor fracture, grandma would be fine.


Since my grandma was still undergoing tests at the hospital, my mom suggested I drive to her house first and then we would plan next steps., which ended up being as follows:


#1- Eat! I'm pretty much worthless if I'm hungry (and extremely grumpy), so we headed to Mimi's Cafe.


#2- Shop! I had to drag my mom over to Talbots so I could buy her something for her birthday.


#3- Go to hospital and see grandma. She was happy to see us and in good spirits. I tell you--the woman is a SAINT.


#4- Go to grandma's house to clean things up and check on her cat "Reggie". Pick up magazines and newspapers to bring to grandma to read.


#5- Are you exhausted yet reading this??? Because me and Ava were--and Ava fell fast asleep in the car.


#6- Mother's intuition told me that Ava wasn't feeling well--so I stopped by Walgreens and purchased some Children's Motrin.


#7- Returned to my mom's house, gave Ava medicine and we all rested.


Saturday morning Ava was still not feeling well and kept complaining about her neck. I went in for a closer look and felt around her neck, and that's when I noticed a large bump on Ava's neck, just below her left ear. And my stomach sank. Is it a tumor? Is it a swollen lymph node? This is when I hate being a mother... yet I obviously know that this is when it counts.

But I didn't have time to obsess over the bump. Ian was on his way down to Tucson as well, and we had plans to meet up with some old high school friends and tailgate before the U of A v. ASU football game. Ava was a trooper at the tailgate, and we still managed to have some fun. (Even if my Sundevils lost).
Me and my sister, Jennifer.
Me and my best friend, Christie


Me chatting with Christie's husband, Jeff (to my right) and John.


Ava goofing around at the tailgate.

Me and Ava trying to stay warm at the game. Ava fell asleep in my arms soon after this photo was taken.



Sunday morning Ian headed home early so he could make it back to Phoenix in time to attend the AZ Cardinal's football game. While me and Ava went to visit my other grandma in the nursing home. My grandma Pat lives in a beautiful Assisted Living/Nursing home on the NW side of Tucson. It was difficult to see her in that environment, however, I know she really enjoyed seeing Ava. I'm so mad at myself for forgetting the camera--because I could I have captured some really precious moments between Ava and her great-grandma. We'll see her again though around Christmas, and next time I'll bring the camera.


As for my other grandma, she has a fractured vertebrae and has to wear a neck brace for the next 5 months. But otherwise, she should be just fine and should be released from the hospital tomorrow.

As for Ava? Her and I will be at her Pediatrician's office first thing in the morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What did the doc say? I hope she is feeling better!! It's so hard on Mommy when they are sick! It kills me!