On a February evening (almost 2 years ago), Ava and I went to this central Phoenix Mexican restaurant to pick up some food.
As we walked up to the take out counter, we noticed this tiny little puppy running around the courtyard. Thinking the puppy belonged to one of the other customers waiting to pick up their order, we sat and played with the puppy. However, as each person's name was called for their order, no one took the puppy with them when they left. Pretty soon, Ava and I were the only ones left on the patio with the puppy. And I'm a total sucker when it comes to puppies.
So, what do I do?
I picked up our food and Ava and I walked back to our car...with the puppy quickly following behind.
I opened the car door to get Ava strapped into her car seat, and the puppy jumped in too.
Now, what am I supposed to do? My heart was beating so fast and I had a lump in my throat. I couldn't and wouldn't leave this puppy to fend for itself near a very busy street. She had no tags, and the restaurant wasn't aware of anyone missing a dog. And in South Phoenix--there are too many stray dogs roaming the streets to count.
So, I drove home and called Ian on my way. Here's how the conversation went:
Me- "Hello, honey?"
Ian- "Yeah, what's up?"
Me- "Guess what I have with me."
Ian- "I hope the burritos."
Me- "Yeah, I have those....but I also have a puppy."
Ian- "Oh, no..."
And so I brought her home and introduced her to our Lucky. And they wrestled and barked and slowly became good friends.

And we named her Lola Jean and we've given her a wonderful life. Today we celebrated her birthday by presenting her with a brand new knuckle bone filled with peanut butter. She may growl and show her teeth when you get close to her while she's working on the bone, but we love her just the same. Happy Birthday, Mean Jean.
The End.








No comments:
Post a Comment